How do I change my name when I get married?

How do I change my name when I get married?If you wish to change your last name upon marriage, begin using the new name immediately after the marriage ceremony.

Social Security - Complete Social Security Administration Form SS-5 and either mail it or take it to your nearest Social Security office. Include a certified copy of your marriage license. There is no fee for filing Form SS-5. You should receive your new social security card within four weeks, and your social security number will not change. (For more information about changing your social security records, click here

Driver's License - Bring your driver's license, social security card and a certified copy of your marriage record (see below) to the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is a $5 fee for a new driver's license card. (For more information about correcting your DMV records, click here.)

Voter Registration - Notify the Registrar's Office of your name change.

Real Estate Tax and Personal Property Tax - Notify the Commissioner of  Revenue's Office of your name change within 30 days.

Address Changes - If you will also be changing your address, don't forget to notify the Registrar's Office, the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office, the U. S. Postal Service with the USPS Change of Address Form and the Internal Revenue Service with IRS Form 8822.

Other - Don't forget to notify other agencies, businesses and associates that your name or address has changed.

Such as:

  • Employer
  • Utilities
    • Water and sewer
    • Electricity
    • Cable
    • Internet
    • Cell phone
  • Online subscriptions (HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc)
  • Auto registration
  • Credit Cards
  • Bank account
  • Professional associations (such as medical/nursing associations)
  • Loans and/or home mortgage
  • Investments
  • Retirement plans (401k, IRA, etc)
  • Doctor and dentist office
  • Insurance companies (auto, homeowner’s, etc)
  • Memberships (AAA, gym, etc)
  • Your children's school
  • Life insurance policy

Investments, retirement plans, and life insurance policies ask for a beneficiary to be named and now that you’re married, you should review who you would like to name as beneficiaries.

If you don’t have life insurance, now would be good time to think about it. My advice is to get something plain and simple (like a 20, 30, 40-yr term policy). That’s the least expensive.